Living in the city is no mean feat especially when the cost of living is going nowhere but up. Think about the cost of renting an apartment plus transportation fees and the overall cost of products in the city. If you feel like your budget is not really capable of handling the kind of living associated with living in such a busy area, you are probably thinking of moving to a cheaper city. This may be easier said than done unless you do some research first.
If you want to move to a city where the cost of living is not that expensive then you might want to learn which cities first are considered to be the most expensive in the world. So far, survey shows that Japan and Zurich, Switzerland are competing for the number one spot especially when there are plenty of trade in currency going on. What are the top 5 most expensive cities today? Well, read on to find out more.
- Tokyo, Japan – Even when this country experienced deflation, increase in global prices and weak Yen, Tokyo still emerged as the most expensive city to live in. Tokyo has nudged Switzerland from the top spot based on the survey conducted by Worldwide Cost of Living survey.
- Osaka, Japan – Osaka is also considered as another expensive city due to the dense population and high cost of housing and other amenities. Due to the fact that there are several large businesses found in Osaka and nearby Kobe, the cost of the land has become quite expensive.
- Sydney, Australia – What pushed this city to the top 5 is its strong currency just like Japan and Switzerland. With such strong local currency, Sydney is now among the most expensive cities in the world.
- Oslo, Norway – With Norway being one of the most developed countries in the world, Oslo doesn’t come as a surprise to be considered among the most expensive cities to live in the world. The city enjoys high average in terms of wage and with the country importing more foreign goods you can expect that the cost of living here is relatively high.
- Melbourne, Australia – Another city in Australia that reached the top five most expensive cities in the world owes its position to a very strong currency just like Sydney.
These are just a few examples of cities that have a high cost of living. Whether you are planning on moving here or not, it is enough to know what to expect when you come and see these places in the future.